Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fiesta Black Bean Salad


Well, we've had a taste of summer..had a couple of days that were in the mid-80s, but nothing to write home about just yet.  Still, I'm gearing up for summer cooking, which means grilled meats and veggies, and lots, LOTS, of salads.  All kinds of salads- not just the tossed greens variety!  I've spent years experimenting with different types of salads, and while I'm always searching for new ideas, we definitely have our favorites here.  This one is my husband's favorite.  I have been making this for at least 10 years, possibly longer.  I remember bringing it to a 4th of July potluck when my daughter was just a baby, and she is almost 12 now!  In any case, it is delicious and stands the test of time.  Most importantly, it is very easy to put together, and pretty darned healthy too!  It's a great side for grilled meats, or alongside any Mexican-themed dinner.  This past weekend, we went camping, and I made it to accompany grilled chicken tacos.  Packed with beans, corn, and bold flavors, it stands well on its own as well.  I sometimes mix this with pasta if I need to stretch it to feed a crowd, but it is equally good and hearty without the pasta.  This is best if it has a few hours to marinate before serving.

Mexican Fiesta Bean Salad
Servings: at least 6





2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
about 1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa, either homemade or store-bought (such as Rojo's), drained of excess liquid
4 green onions, sliced thinly
about 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Mojito Lime seasoning (made by McCormick.  I am not affiliated with McCormick, I just like their grill seasonings.  If you can't fnd this, substitute a mixture of garlic powder, red pepper, and dried grated citrus peel.)
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt/pepper to taste

1.  Combine drained and rinsed black beans and corn in a large bowl.  Add  drained salsa, cilantro, and green onions and toss to mix.  Set aside.

2.  In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, seasonings, and vegetable oil.

3.  Pour dressing over bean salad and toss to incorporate.  Allow to sit in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment