Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Zucchini Part 3: Rosemary Zucchini Soup


Yes, it's another soup recipe.  Yes, I'm aware that it's now August.  Sorry!  But you know, soup is good any time of year, really.  It doesn't have to be piping hot to be good.  And this soup- is GOOD.  I got this recipe from Epicurious several years ago, when I had way too much zucchini going on in the garden.  It was something different, and I appreciated that, and still do!  This soup is good enough to make even if you are not overrun by zucchini.  It is light and simple and very flavorful.  Summer in a bowl, this is.

Rosemary Zucchini Soup, Adapted from Epicuirious.com

2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium-large zucchini, diced
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 quart chicken broth, plus water if necessary
salt/pepper to taste

1.  Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.

2.  Add garlic and rosemary and continue to cook about 1 minute more.

3.  Add chicken stock and potato and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and add zucchini.  Simmer until tender, 10-15 minutes, adding water if necessary.

4.  Blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor, and return to pot.  Heat to a simmer, and add water, if necessary, and salt and pepper to taste.


The original Epicurious recipe has some croutons and fried zucchini as a garnish, but I usually do not bother with that- I don't have time.  Honestly, this soup is quite flavorful as it is, and though it is yummy with the additions (which I have tried before), it doesn't need them to be good.

So, have we had enough zucchini recipes yet???  I still have a couple more!  I'm on vacation for the next week, so I'll see what I come up with after that.  But in the meantime, if anyone has a burning desire to make baked zucchini fritters or a Greek-style chopped salad with zucchini, let me know- I think I can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment