Sunday, August 17, 2014

Hummus

Hummus is one of my favorite snack foods.  I don't remember the first time I ever tried it, but it was as an adult, probably in my 30s.  When I bought my first food processor, the very first thing I made in it was hummus- in fact, wanting to make hummus at home was the reason for buying my first food processor!  I used the recipe out of the Moosewood Cookbook, and in time, developed my own way of making it. I prefer making my own to buying hummus at the store- while there are some good brands out there, it seems like they always put cumin into it, and I really do not like cumin in hummus.  Not to toot my own horn too loudly, but I get a lot of compliments on my hummus.  My kids love it- my daughter would happily live on it if I let her.  In fact, as I have been typing this, she walked into the kitchen and asked if I would make more today, since she just finished off what was in the refrigerator.

Mine is a pretty simple recipe.  After many years of making it, I can do it without measuring anything.  It comes together pretty quickly in the food processor, and it's best to make it with time to let it sit in the fridge a few hours or overnight before serving, to let the flavors meld.  I have added other ingredients in the past- roasted red pepper, green onions, spinach, but really like the simplicity of the plain, unadorned hummus.


Hummus

2 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed well
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 heaping tablespoon sesame tahini
The juice of one lemon
About 3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Water, as needed to thin

1.  Place drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, tahini and garlic in food processor.  Pulse to chop into a coarse crumble.

2.  Turn processor on low and drizzle in lemon juice and olive oil a little at a time.  Use a spatula to scrape mixture down into the bowl of the processor as necessary.

3. Taste, and add more lemon juice if necessary (if one lemon does not yield enough juice, I  supplement with bottled lemon juice)

4.  Thin with water as needed, until mixture attains a creamy consistency.

5.  Add salt and pepper and process to incorporate.  Taste and add more if necessary.

6.  Refrigerate at least a couple of hours before serving; overnight is best.  Serve with pita bread, pita chips, crackers, raw vegetables, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment