Sunday, August 3, 2014

Skillet Greek Chicken and Vegetables Over Couscous

It's no secret that I love Greek or Mediterranean-inspired cooking- many of the dishes I've shared here have that theme.  The flavors are so bright and vibrant- pungent garlic and onion, tangy lemon, rich tomato, briny olive, and the sharp tang of Feta cheese, when combined, make such a complex set of flavors!  This past week, I had some boneless skinless chicken breasts that I had defrosted and had some left after grilling the rest.  I decided to try a skillet dish and use all of my favorite Greek ingredients.  The result was SO tasty and delicious, I know I will be making this again and again! I used what I had on hand at the time, but when I make this again, plan to add more fresh vegetables, such as zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper and more spinach.  This would be good over rice or quinoa instead of the couscous, but I liked the couscous because it cooks so quickly- just 5 minutes.





Skillet Greek Chicken and Vegetables Over Couscous
Serves: 2-3

1 box couscous, prepared according to package directions (I used the Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil flavor from Near East)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise and cut into 2 inch pieces
Salt/pepper
Italian seasoning, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (or 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes)
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained well (water-packed, not marinated)
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese


1. Cook couscous according to directions, set aside.

2. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. 

3.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and brown on both sides.  Remove from pan and set aside.

4. Reduce heat to medium.  Add onion and garlic to pan, stir and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add chicken broth and turn heat back up to medium-high; reduce slightly.

5.  Add tomatoes and artichoke hearts and continue to cook, about 3-4 minutes.  Add chicken and heat through.

6. Add olives, spinach and additional Italian seasoning, if desired.  Toss to incorporate and heat through about 1 minute.

7.  Serve over couscous, garnished with crumbled feta cheese.

Note: If adding additional vegetables, I would use about 2 cups of uniform bite-sized, and would cook them in a bit of olive oil after removing the chicken from the pan. Then move on to step 3, adding the garlic and onion to the vegetable mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment